birding-aus

Skeins of Geese in Scotland

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Skeins of Geese in Scotland
From: Judy Philip <>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 00:53:58 +1030
I appreciated the recent post about the theft of the common from the
goose........

Coincidentally, just now, I received an email from a non-birder
genealogical correspondent in Fife, Scotland and I can't resist posting
it (though it's probably off-topic for Birding-Aus - apologies).  He
writes:
"I too have been doing a
bit of birdwatching over the past week.  Also bird listening.  And all
involuntary too.  The fields around me are full of large grey
geese stopping off on their way south for their winter vacation.  The
ground stretches away in the form of a forest of curved
necks and continuous 'chuntering' noises.  Then a few stragglers spot me
and flap uncertainly up into the air and this alerts their
pals and suddenly a whole carpet of birds are swooping and honking at
maximum volume.  They swing around in the air for a
few seconds, then settle on the ground again a hundred yards further
away.  And from time to time the air goes black as huge
skeins of geese fly around overhead honking away at the tops of their
voices.  Even the cats sit at the windows and watch
them."

Judy Philip
Adelaide