birding-aus

help for waders

To: <>
Subject: help for waders
From: "Phil Straw" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 07:53:31 +1100
The decline in the numbers of waders in the Sydney region is due largely to disturbance and the loss of habitat. The few sites that are left have few birds on them and as such do not trigger the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act as being 'significant' as far as numbers of waders are concerned. One such area is Careel Bay (in Broken Bay within the northern suburbs of Sydney). The area is capable of supporting more waders than are currently found in the area. Are the numbers of birds kept down due to disturbance or some other factor?

Does anyone have any records of waders for the Careel Bay area from past years? If so please send them to me ASAP, to my email address as I do not monitor Birding-aus.

Any information would help in protecting the area from being designated as a dog exercising/swimming area. Obviously we are not against dogs but need to prioritise use of different areas.

If you have any useful data on waders, anywhere, please give me your contact details but don't send piles of records yet!

Phil Straw
Chairman NSW Wader Study Group