birding-aus

Hopkins River near Hopkins Falls

To: "Birding Aus" <>,
Subject: Hopkins River near Hopkins Falls
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:10:22 +1100

Hi All,

Just an ammendment to my last email:

They were not Spotless Crakes, but Black-tailed native hens.

Apologies for the mis-ID (new birder syndrome) : )

Thanks to Tim Dolby for pointing me in the right direction.

Peter

Last Saturday i went down to Warrnambool and stopped off at Hopkins falls on the way.  Just before we reached the falls, we where attracted by about 20 black-winged ibises grazing in a paddock next to the Hopkins river.  Getting out of the car to get some photos, we spotted about 8 spottless crakes on the ground that quickly scurried down the river bank, some flying off, others jumping into the bushes.  Walking down to the river, there was a nankeen night heron sitting on an exposed limb of a dead tree on the river bank. Also on the  river where quick a few Pacific black ducks, and another duck that i was unable to identify.

Another  highlight was a tiny pacific black duckling playing under the waterfall.....the smallness of it was accentuated by the granduer of the waterfall.....it made for some terrific photos.   :  )

Peter