birding-aus

Fig-parrots and others

To: "jade welch" <>
Subject: Fig-parrots and others
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:38:52 +1000
Jade,

I think the largest number of Fig-parrots I have seen at any one time would
have been between 40 and 60 birds scwabling over roosting sites in some
large tallow woods (Eucalyptus microcorys) in the Lake Eacham picnic area.
It was a few years ago and I don't have a more accurate memory of the
numbers excet that they were huge. Flocks of a dozen are common and 20 is
high but not exceptional outside the breeding season. Prior to breeding in
the Curtain Fig-tree scrub about 20 birds roost in my  eucalypts for about a
fortnight each year. After breeding I have some birds but not on a regular
basis feeding and roosting on our block.
The birds are Cyclopsitta diophthalma macleayana.

Regards,

Alan