birding-aus

Brisbane on the 3rd of January

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Brisbane on the 3rd of January
From: "Stuart Cooney" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 18:45:59 +1100
Hi Birders,

I will be flying in to Brisbane on Friday the 3rd of January, arriving at 7:35 AM for a days clear birding before visiting non-birding friends for the weekend then looking forward to working for a fortnight as a nature guide at O'Reilly's.

On the 3rd I will hire a car at the airport and then I have the following itinerary planned where I will see the following new birds, on only my second trip to Queensland:

Samsonvale Lake
Bar-shouldered Dove
Black Falcon
Channel-billed Cuckoo
Forest Kingfisher
Forest Pigeon
Grey Goshawk
Gull-billed Tern
King Quail
Osprey
Varied Triller

Samsonvale Cemetery
Little Bronze-cuckoo
Tawny Grassbird

Mt Mee State Forest
Cicadabird
Dusky Honeyeater
Leaden Flycatcher
Red-chested Button-quail
Spectacled Monarch

Toorbul Point
Broad-billed Sandpiper
Collared Kingfisher
Grey-tailed Tattler
Gull-billed Tern
Large Sand Plover
Lesser Sand Plover
Mangrove Gerygone
Mangrove Honeyeater
Osprey
Terek Sandpiper

Tinchi Tamba
Bar-shouldered Dove
Collared Kingfisher
Dollarbird
Mangrove Gerygone
Mangrove Honeyeater
Osprey
White-breasted Woodswallow

Does this seem too ambitious?  My feeble Twitchathon attempt shows that too much ambition is a problem that I have had to deal with before.  Am I missing any bleedingly obvious hotspots?  Especially any spots where I might see any of the following new birds mentioned in reports from the area, but a bit too far for me to make:

Bush Hen
Bush Thick-knee
Cotton Pygmy-goose
Dusky Honeyeater
Eastern Reef Egret
Greater Sand Plover
Lesser Crested Tern
Lesser Sand Plover
Little Bittern
Little Shrike Thrush
Roseate Tern
Sooty Tern
Wandering Tattler
Wandering Whistling-duck

And finally would anyone like to join me, I would be happy for the company, a navigational aid and even a assistant to decipher new waders for me (like I have the regular Victorian ones under my belt!)

Thanks to the people who have posted trip reports to Birding-Aus, from which I gathered this information and I look forward to hearing from people, any comment at all welcome.

Stuart