birding-aus

Leg-flagging waders in reply

To: Peter Milburn <>
Subject: Leg-flagging waders in reply
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 20:32:55 -0800 (PST)

Peter Milburn <> wrote:

Penn Gwynne/John Gamblin wrote

Am I right to assume that a wild bird has to be caught by human hands and that these human hands as is often the case have had very little training? the wild protected birds are caught by netting ... once netted they are then tagged or flagged and exactly for what? and why?

A bird does have to be caught and handled to be fitted with a leg flag. On this we may agree.

Good we have a wild bird death toll here already, no matter who brilliant some may be. And thee death rate from that part of the flagging/tagging activity on it's own is what Peter? even one is too high a toll or price to pay.

I am not in any way associated with these activities so I am not in a position to comment further except to express an opinion.

Your own biased opinion is noted and I thank you Peter.

My opinions do not agree with many of the opinions otherwise stated by Penn
Gwynne/John Gamblin in her/his multiple manifestations. In the absence of any substantiation, I object to the inference that the people who work with waders have very little training.

Peter I have spoken in one format or another to many banders/flaggers I have yet to correspond with a wild bird flagger/tagger who says they have had more then enough training, have you?

This appears to be an attempt to belittle others without justification and fraudulently garner support for her/his cause.

With Dibley accent I say "No No No No No" far from it, I wish to belittle no one. I do my level best to help little ones, little ones with or without feathers.

Pure heresay from you Peter and a very incorrect assessment about the fraud.

Wild birds suffer mortality as a result of most human activity. Powerlines, road vehicles, windows, hunting, trapping, poisoning, oil spilling, fisheries operations, oilflares, lighthouses etc. inflict direct killing. Indirect mortality arises from habitat destruction and disturbance caused by housing development, agriculture, pastoralism, deforestation, recreational land use etc.

Psssssssst aircraft both commercial and of the armed services and of course private airlines, but are you in fact Peter saying we kill wild birds in other ways so why not by flagging/tagging??? what's the loss of a few little sanderling or Pelicans? eh wouldn't it be absolutely awlful that if in fact their gene pool was being damaged by taggers/flaggers?

If we stopped all of these activities then I might agree that certain research motivated by conservation issues was uneccessary.

So what your saying is? it's okay to kill harmless, defenceless wild birds for the sake of and reason to forefill human knowledge about wild birds? .......

Penn/John, perhaps it would be useful to broaden your impressive campaign against the causes of mortality in wild birds if you want a greater level of agreement with what you write.

My many years of life young Peter have taught me many many things, and one is to always use my own English Longbow and arrow before I go for and use the Royal Artillery training I once had. Gently gently until frustration demands the wearing of dockyard boots.

It would also be particularly useful if you provided tangiable evidence to substantaite your claims.

Peter your the one saying I'm wrong then please YOU put up the irrefutible evidence that disproves what I say? a lot of it is in the archive to this list if not up in town at BA HQ okay ....

Peter try www.google.com

it's all there if you let your fingers do the walking and talking.

Penn Gwynne manni fest asean, Western Port of course.

X kews spelling I'm in a rush to get the the doc's.

Do you Yahoo!?