birding-aus

A birding afternoon in western Victoria

Subject: A birding afternoon in western Victoria
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 10:06:09 +1100

G'day all

I visited a couple of my favourite spots close to Hamilton yesterday afternoon
and found some good birds.  First stop was to Freshwater Lake (north west of
Dunkeld) where Tortoises were digging nest holes on the side of the road.  Emus
were wading along the far shore and a few Hardheads, Grey Teal, Australasian
Grebes and Coots were present.

Next I spent a couple of hours in my hot spot near the Dunkeld golf course.  The
forest was alive with birds - no doubt stirred up by the hot humid conditions
and the occasional shower of rain.  Highlights were Yellow-tailed
Black-Cockatoos, Satin Flycatchers (one pair), Crested Shriketit, Rufous
Whistlers calling everywhere, White-winged Trillers, Black-chinned Honeyeaters,
Dusky Woodswallows and possibly a Chestnut-rumped Heathwren.  A small flock of
Great Cormorants flying overhead was an unusual addition to the list for this
area of stringybark woodland.  No Painted Honeyeaters or Bee-eaters on this
occasion - both are often here in late spring.

A quick visit to Lake Linlithgow on the way home turned up a small flock of
banded Stilts among a large flock of Avocets.  None of the Stilts had chest
bands.

Lovely rain today and more to come later this afternoon.

Re the Spanish oil slick.  I've always wondered why they don't just throw a
match on such slicks.  Wouldn't it burn?

Cheers

Steve

Steve Clark
Hamilton, Victoria, 3300