birding-aus

ID Shearwater

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: ID Shearwater
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 20:29:41 +1100
Hi All,
        Need some assistance from seabird watchers to identify seabirds seen off the Southport Seaway yesterday, where the Nerang River goes into the sea at the tip of the Southport Spit,SEQ.A large chocolate brown bird was seen floating in the middle of the channel about 100 metres from the end of the groyne.It flew away from me so I didn't see head shape or bill.The bird was a uniform dark chocolate brown, both of wings and body.Tail was slightly rounded, of medium length for a seabird that size.
        Returned a couple of hours later with telescope.Tide had gone out but picked-up about 20+ of what I believe to be the same bird some 400-500 metres off the end of the groyne.Again a uniform dark brown all-over colour,although at some angles there appeared to be darker brown,almost black, on last quarter of upperwing.The most distinctive feature was a light,dull whitish straight bill.Legs did not protrude past tail , wings were long,bent at elbow.The birds were flying, mainly gliding, only 1 or 2 metres above the sea,choosing swells and choppy patches.I didn't see any land on the water or dive into the water.Wingbeat looked rather stiff,wings slightly bowed.
       I'm not at all confident with seabirds, but I think this was a largish shearwater, and my quick look at a couple of fieldguides points me to Fleshy-footed Shearwater???
       I'd happily accept info., advice and education about these birds. I phoned Terry Pacey last night and informed him of my observations in the hope that some local Gold Coast birders can confirm or deny!

         Russ Lamb,Maleny (where there are NO seabirds!)