birding-aus

The Big Twitch- Go West Young Twitcher

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: The Big Twitch- Go West Young Twitcher
From: "Sean Dooley" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 23:00:10 +0800
Back in Melbourne briefly I tried for the Little Bittern that Aidan Sudbury had seen at the Cranbourne Botanic Gardens. It had been many years since I had visited this site and had forgotten how good the heathland here is. The wetlands weren't quite as good, and no Little Bittern was forthcoming. While in Melbourne I heard from Paul Peake who the night before had heard a Masked Owl not far from Lorne. My first night of this final leg of "The Big Twitch" was spent here. It was not an auspicious start as I failed to even hear the birds, though I did hear six Boobook Owls in a very small area, and was serenaded by the werewolf like grunts of Koalas in love.

The next morning saw me out along the coast at Port Fairy searching every beach I knew that had held Sanderling in the past. Again no luck. This was not auguring well. In a now too familiar theme I was unable to fluke one of the Lawrence Rocks' Cape Gannets in my attempts at seawatching off Portland. The Government seems to have privatised the lighthouse near Cape Nelson, and as far as I could work out, access to what was one of the greatest sea watching spots in Australia is now off limits unless you want to fork out for a feed of grain fed beef while you listen to a trad jazz band.

Undeterred, I pressed on, nightfall seeing me at Comet Bore in Ngkarat Conservation Park in South Australia's Mallee. This area used to be a great spot for Red-lored Whistler and Western Whipbird but some major fires went through a few years ago destroying most of the habitat.

Next morning I went for a walk through the mix of heath and mallee country. There were birds everywhere, mainly Honeyeaters- Tawny-crowned, Purple-gaped and White-eared, denizens of the heathland. But there seemed to be a patch that seemed relatively old growth- perhaps it escaped the fires- and it was in here that I found Shy Heathwren and both a female and immature Red-lored Whistler. Perhaps they were making a comeback here; one that may have been thwarted however, as within days of my visit, fires again swept through the Park. Who knows if the Whistlers can recover a second time?

From Comet Bore I drove to Pooginook Conservation Park where I had a "dead cert" site for both the Whistlers and Malleefowl. Lucky I already had picked up the Red-loreds as I failed to get onto any here, and I found the Malleefowl mound OK, but it seemed inactive, and no birds could be found.

Possibly my last option for Malleefowl was a place called Eromophilla Park which is basically a working wheat farm with substantial areas of mallee left on it. The amazing woman who runs it has been throwing grain to the local Malleefowl for about thirty years and they have become quite used to people. At one point she had seven birds coming in for a free feed, and up to seventeen were counted in the local district, but much of the surrounding area has since been cleared for more wheat paddocks. Now, in the drought, they stand denuded of cover, the precious topsoil heaped in piles along fencelines whilst the mallee that has been preserved at Eromophilla Park keeps its soil well bound.

Next morning I went out to the mound, and there was the local pair of Malleefowl scratching about, seemingly oblivious to my presence. A very special moment indeed, as I have hardly ever seen these very, very cool birds, and I had begun to seriously doubt I would get them.

The last of the Mallee species safely ticked off, it was time to head further afield with an overnight stop in Adelaide- thanks again to another of the Harper kids giving up their bed for this smelly birder- taking a bed from a child; can I sink any lower? While there, Dave Harper filled me in on waht had transpired after I had parted company with him on the track to Birdsville back in August and he told me that a day or so later they had seen over forty thousand Flock Bronzewings coming into drink at a waterhole out of Birdsville. If only I'd stayed with them another day!

He had also seen Inland Dotterel at the bottom of the Birdsville Track near Marree so it was here that I decided to detour as I was unsure of where else to look for this species. Needless to say this thousand kilometre detour produced no Inland Dotts, but I finally caught up with Rufous Field-wren at the Chestnut-breasted Whiteface site near Lyndhurst.

It wasn't until two days later that I caught up with Inland Dotterel in the middle of the Nullabor Plain, trying to hide from a massive lightning storm. The radio later said that lightning had hit South Australia something like two hundred thousand times, and here was I in the middle of a vast plain sitting in a metal box, the only object standing more than half a metre. I sought refuge in the railway town of Cook. Sitting in the middle of the Trans-Australian Rail-line, Cook is now little more than a ghost town. I sat out the storm with a bunch of railway workers who were waiting for their changeover with the West Australian crew. There on that desolate flat plain, illuminated by flashes of distant lightning, with red dust whipping around us, blown by a fierce, hot Northerly that seared the soft tissue of the nasal cavities with every intake of breath, I felt I was on the set of a Charles Chauvel film, transported back to the early Nineteen Fifites.

It wasn't until after dark, driving back to the Highway that I finally encountered Inland Dotterel- almost ran over it on the track. It was a great ending to a dramatic day which had included some very interesting birds such as Stubble Quail, Crimson and Orange Chats, Fork-tailed Swift and the Nullabor race of Cinnamon Quail-thrush.

And now, with November upon us, the total on 625, I was finally crossing into the West.