birding-aus

[Fwd: Immature Great Crested Grebes at Banyule Flats (Fri 22 Nov. 2002)]

To: "" <>
Subject: [Fwd: Immature Great Crested Grebes at Banyule Flats (Fri 22 Nov. 2002)]
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:45:05 +1100
This morning I spent a very pleasant time at Banyule Flats including a
good look at the Swamp - now markedly shallower with surviving clumps of
Water-Ribbons and many dead clumps protruding. (Were they eaten by the
Black Swans in recent years or affected by changes in water level?)

There were many immature Grebes about, both Australasian and
Hoary-headed.
There were also at least 2 birds which though deinitely young Grebes
seemed a size larger, with longer and straighter necks and longer bills.
Generally very pale grey, but showing dazzling white bellies when
performing a rolling preen. They entirely lacked any darker headplumes
or ruffs.
They were at the southeast corner of the Swamp, not feeeding but
apparently resting and preening.

I am reliably informed that Great Crested Grebes nested this spring at
Gresswell Grange flood control/habitat ponds, just north of La Trobe
Uni. Wildlife Reserve in Bundoora. I don't know at what age young grebes
fly off to lead independent lives, but it's not a very long flight away.

Anthea Fleming in Ivanhoe (Vic.)

As well as the 'usual suspects', there were 4 Latham's Snipe feeding out
in the open in the shallow water, 24 Blackwinged stilts, and a solitary
Red-kneed Dotterel on the western margin.
A Swamp Harrier overhead caused tremendous disturbance for a few
minutes.