birding-aus

Bird list

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Bird list
From: "N & J Russill" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:12:51 +1100
During our trip to visit our daughter in Adelaide, we recorded
230 species incl. 12 species of ducks, 17 species of  raptors,
and 24 species of  honeyeaters.  Black-tailed Native Hens were
in abundance almost everywhere!!  Below are a few highlights
anyone needing more detailed information can contact us.
24.9.02 14 Superb Parrots - Cowra  NSW Area - 3 sites
25.9.02 1 Major Mitchell Cockatoo (we have seen this lone
bird in West Wyalong  NSW & Wyalong area in previous years.)
26.9.02  Painted Honeyeater Back Creek SF near Wyalong NSW
(we rarely miss this species at BCSF even on a fleeting stop!
over at least 5 years, if not there, Wirra State Forest is nearby
and also a reliable site - we have recommended this site to many
birdwatchers and all except one have found Painted Honeyeaters
26.9.02 4 Speckled Warblers - also at Back Creek SF
(a great spot for these delightful birds)
26.9.02 4 Painted Honeyeaters in low trees around entrance gate at Nericon
Swamp - Griffith NSW - also  many other honeyeater species.
27.9.02  Superb Parrots -  Leeton area NSW
27.9.02 1 Red-backed Kingfisher at Leeton NSW
30.9.02 Plains Wanderer - Terrick Terrick NP Victoria
             Gilberts Whistler        "             "
             Banded Lapwings      "             "
             Hooded Robins - several pairs  "     "
             Fat-tailed Dunnarts - one with 4 "large" young in her pouch
3.10.02  Mallee Emuwrens - excellent views of 3 birds off  the
             Nowingi Track - Hattah Kulkyne NP - Victoria
12.10.02 Southern Scrub Robins - Brookfield CP - Sth. Australia
              excellent views, one sat in front of us and called for ages
              Splendid Wrens and many White-fronted & Brown headed
              Honeyeaters.
              Brookfield CP and surrounding roads are great places to
              view Hairy-nosed Wombats out early afternoon.
  15.10.02 Four days at Kangaroo Island SA, great views of  Wstn
              Whipbirds in the stunted trees/heath along the sthn coast
               Lots of Purple-gaped, Tawny-crowned  & Crescent Honeyeaters
               Beautiful Firetails, Hooded Plovers, 3 Wedge-tailed Eagles,
               3 Ospreys, 2 White-bellied Sea-eagles.
K.I. has good birding, lots of mammals - sealions, seals, kangaroos, koalas,
echidnas etc.and is scenic wonderland- if visiting don't miss Kingscote
STW -  many species of ducks incl. Freckled Ducks - which incidentally we
saw at many places during the trip.          Neil & Judi Russill