birding-aus

Newcastle 17th November

To: <>
Subject: Newcastle 17th November
From: "Simon Blanchflower" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:45:15 +1100
Hi all, I passed through Newcastle yesterday and stopped off at a couple of places. I was amazed at the transformation at Stockton Bridge - wow what a job, the people that worked on this have worked really hard and done a terrific job - well done! The birds here were low in numbers as I wasn't there at high tide, but I did see 2 Terek Sandpipers which I don't see too often around Newcastle. Also were 4 Whimbrel, Eastern Curlew, Barwits, and a handful of Red Knot.

I also stopped briefly at Minmi wetlands (the area adjacent to the motorway) and the water level here is the lowest I've seen it. Of note were the number of Sharp-Tailed Sandpipers at least 300. Didn't see any stints, a couple of Lathams Snipe were around also as well as a couple of White-Breasted Woodswallow, Dollarbird and a Channel-billed Cuckoo.

Cheers
Simon.