birding-aus

Little Terns at Karagi Pt The Entrance NSW 2002/3 Bulletin No 1

To: "Munmorah Sub District" <>, <>
Subject: Little Terns at Karagi Pt The Entrance NSW 2002/3 Bulletin No 1
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 21:18:46 +1100
Hi Birders,
The Little Tern colony at Karagai Point, The Entrance is back in business again. The Little Terns were seen to be undertaking display flights last Monday when a Wyong Council/NPWS/Central Coast Birders onsite meeting got underway to review the need for a protective fence once again. Wyong Council Parks and Reserve staff agreed to re-fence the Karagi Point sandspit and this was done last Friday  15/11/02. On Saturday Robert Quinan reported that there were about 10 pairs setting up nest sites and by this afternoon (sunday) I was able to count 8 nests, including one with three eggs inside the fenced area. Unfortunately there were three nests outside the fence and in immediate danger of being walked on, one with 3 eggs and one with 2 eggs. I will be contacting members of the Central Coast Group of Birding NSW to organise some monitoring of the colony.

During the afternoon I saw about 110 Little Terns around The Entrance / Picnic Point of which atleast 30 were in breeding plumage, some had coloured flags and some just metal bands. There were about 40 Common Terns roostingn near the colony and yesterday Rob Quinan saw a White-winged Black Tern with the Common Terns. Also at The Entrance were about 700+ Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, 300 Red-necked Stints, 80 Bar-tailed Godwits, 60 Curlew Sandpipers, 14 Pacific Golden Plovers, and a few Greenshanks and 1 Marsh Sandpiper.

I have some concerns for the success of the colony this year because the sandspit is much narrow than in previous years so that the area to be fenced off for the Little Terns is much narrower. This has the effect that everytime some one walks past the fence, all the terns leave their eggs. Hopefully those nesting outside the fence will get the message when their eggs become trampled, and will renest inside thefenced area. I assume that the other colonies are underway.

Alan Morris