birding-aus

RFI- Birds drinking habits

To: "Birding Aus Messages" <>
Subject: RFI- Birds drinking habits
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 11:59:35 +1000
g'day all,

I have noticed ..
- Mistletoebirds drinking only recently. Maybe as mistletoe berries are out of season in this district they need to obtain liquid directly.
- Only once have I seen a Willy Wagtail drinking
- I have never seen Grey-crowned Babblers, Grasswrens, Hooded Robins, Richard's Pipits or Spinifexbirds drinking.
- I have never seen any Woodswallows drinking but I believe someone told me they had seen one species drinking.

I had hoped that this subject would have been covered in the recent BA Congress at Alice Springs which had the theme "Outback birds"
But alas, no. (Yet we got "Can the brown Antechinus depredate quail eggs ? Koala's can !")

I am wondering if the current drought is/has or will alter the quantity of food available for the insectivorous birds.

Regards,
Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Queensland.