birding-aus

Raptors and Cicadas

To: "'Edwin Vella'" <>,
Subject: Raptors and Cicadas
From: Mike Tarburton <>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:25:39 +1000
Edwin and Other interested persons re Black Kites taking insects

It is an annual feature on our campus here 14 mile out of Port Moresby to observe black kites taking moth cocoons from the terminal portions of Poinciana branches, then while floating in the air, and using their feet and bill they open the cocoon extract the chrysalis and swallow it.

These were the first birds I observed doing this, but as I set some outdoor labs for my Ecology students around this phenomenon we collected a list of about seven bird species all doing the same - though the styles differed. Torresian Crows started two years ago by just walking under the trees and picking up what the kites dropped but this year they got into the trees with such aggression that they did more damage to the trees than the caterpillars did.

Enjoy your next meal

Mike

Dr Mike Tarburton
Dean: School of Science & Technology