birding-aus

Are Bobwhites feral in Australia?

Subject: Are Bobwhites feral in Australia?
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:05:32 +1100

Hello all,

I've just been reading a document produced by the Tasmanian Department of Primary Industries, Water and Environment  called Game Tracks, which is the Official Publication of the Game Management Services Unit.

In issue 7 there is a Game Species Profile of the Bobwhite Quail, Colinus virginianus. This species originates from the US. Years ago in my avicultural days I used to keep some Bobwhite quail. They were interesting birds- quickly turning the floor of the aviary into a well turned over soil! I eventually sold them because they had a habit of perching on the perches that were put up for the other birds and then when they were frightened during the night they kick up an enormous fuss in the aviary being relatively big quail! When I purchased them I was told that none of the Bobwhite quail kept in Australia were capable of hatching eggs or rearing young by themselves having lost the instinct. All birds bred in captivity having over many generations being hatched in incubators.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, the article reads as though Bobwhites are breeding in tasmania in the wild. It does point out that they are most abundant where releasing programs exist but also goes into detail of their breeding behaviour. No mention is made of incubators or the need for captive breeding.

As the Bobwhite Quail isn't mentioned in any of the field guides I wondered whether somebody could confirm or deny the status of this species in Tassie?

Cheers

Mick Todd

Michael Todd
Biodiversity Planning Officer
NSW NPWS
PO Box 1049
Griffith, NSW, 2680
Phone- 02 69668122

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.