birding-aus

Come to Ricketts Point to celebrate Victoria's marine sanctuaries and p

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Come to Ricketts Point to celebrate Victoria's marine sanctuaries and parks!
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 19:12:50 +1100
Ricketts Point Marine Sanctuary

Come and mark the new marine parks and sanctuaries - and
spare a thought for the anglers, bait-pumpers, seaweed
gatherers.. who would not be allowed there from midnight.
Some of them have been very supportive of the sanctuary.

And it will be great for the best wader spot on the eastern
side of Port Phillip Bay !

12 noon to 2pm on Saturday, November 16, 2002.

At the Beaumaris Life Saving Club (Melway p86 C9)and nearby
lawns and beach

Entertainment and activities:

Interactive vocalists and musicians including a didjerido
player, 3 and 4 part harmony singers, poetry composed for
the occasion, a magician ? plus face painting, sandcastles
and more. Meet Parks Victoria rangers and learn about the
sanctuary. Enjoy a picnic surrounded by the picturesque sea,
sand and coastal bushland.

Food and drinks:

Free sausage sizzle courtesy of Parks Victoria and served by
members of the Beaumaris Life Saving Club. Bring a picnic
lunch and drinks to supplement if you wish (could be wise!).

Launch:

The official proclamation and launch will be hosted by Parks
Victoria in the presence of the Mayor of Bayside and
possibly state government leaders (Steve Bracks, Sherryl
Garbutt) and others. Sylvia Earle from the USA and
Australia's own Viv Taylor (as if we did not have great
local marine biologists, divers, and friends of our natural
environment including our MLA - Murray Thompson - who
despite all his faults has been there for us for 10 years!).

We want this occasion to be one of enjoyment for the whole
family, informal in style and a day to remember. Hope you
can come.

Parking:

There should be parking for disabled people near the car
park by the Life Saving Club. If the car park is full, park
on Beach Road or nearby streets, then walk to the southerly
end of the Ricketts Point car park, see Melways Map 86, C9.

(And remember you used to be able to park on the sand all
along the beach until those greenies stopped you 50 years
ago !)

Setting up/Breaking up:

If you are like me young fit and able, come and help set up
stages etc. by being near the Life Saving Club from 10 am or
from around 2.30 pm.  This may be your last chance to throw
pies and old f***s exhausted by the political campaign.

For more info. about:

- joining a friends group
- being kept in touch etc.

Send an email to me or phone Bob Whiteway on 9502 0060.

Mike Norris

- helping set up on site from 1030 or break-up from 1430