birding-aus

The Canada Goose & some rare Victorian birds

To: "Lawrie Conole" <>, "Kate,Kurt,Elliot Lindsay" <>
Subject: The Canada Goose & some rare Victorian birds
From: "Lawrie Conole" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 20:07:41 +1100
>Still, have canada geese ever caused any troubles in Europe,New
Zealand,or
>The american Continent?
>even still when you compare the popuklations of the geese to
australia,I
>mean man!

Canada Geese are indigenous to North America (the name is a
giveaway!).  They are feral pests in Europe and New Zealand, and
prosper at the expense of other waterfowl (eg. Paradise Shelduck
in NZ).  If I want to see a wetland full of CG, I'd prefer to see
them in North America where they belong.

As for the second paragraph - I'm not sure what you mean.  There
are lots of geese in Australia????  Cape Barren Geese and Magpie
Geese are just fine thanks - we don't need CG as well.

So sure - there's just one CG, and people are thronging to see it -
 but get rid of it after the twitching has subsided somewhat - or
catch it and stick it in a zoo somewhere if you must.

L.