birding-aus

The Big Twitch- Goin' South

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: The Big Twitch- Goin' South
From: "Sean Dooley" <>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 22:58:01 +0800
I was booked into a pelagic trip off Tasmania for September 22nd. It was now the 16th and with my total on 608 it was time, after ten weeks on the road, to finally leave Queensland and head home picking up those few, stubborn, pesky South Eastern birds I still needed and be back home in time for tea and cakes. Oh if it only it were that simple my friends, if only it were that simple.

I decided to head from Lamington via Grafton and then over the New England plateau to get the "Relict" race of Forest Raven, just in case they ever split it out into a full species again. This was duly done just outside Ebor in bitterly cold, howling winds where only hours before I had been in balmy sub-tropical weather of Grafton.

In taking this route I was undoubtedly missing out on hundreds of sites for Plum-headed Finch, but I was planning on getting this species in the Capertee Valley whilst going for Regent Honeyeater. For all those weeks Regents had been hanging around showing nicely on the Central Coast, I had been travelling inland. Now that I was heading back they had of course nicked off. There were reports that they were drifting back to the Capertee but the drought has hit there too, and with very little in flower, the big question was whether they would remain in their usual haunts.

And after two days being buffetted by fierce winds, searching every hang out I knew of, I could safely say they had well and truly dispersed. No luck with the Plummies either. I did see many good species including: Square-tailed Kite and the advance sortie of the upcoming Woodswallow invasion. But no target species.

Similarly, as I headed onto the plains of the Riverina I failed to see any Superb Parrots or Little Bitterns, although on a swamp near Deniliquin I did see only my second Australasian Bittern for the year.

It was now the day before I was due to fly for Hobart and I had dipped on all fronts. Spent hours and hours in the Redgum Forests at Gulpa ever more desperately looking for Superb Parrots. Possibly the amount of logging activity in the prime areas was putting the birds off. By late afternoon still no luck and I was contemplating staying overnight and heading straight to the airport from there next morning when a pair flew over. I could only get a good look at the female, but that was enough for me to tick off Superb Parrot, bird number 609 for the year. What is it about male parrots and me? So far I've failed to see the much spunkier males of Scarlet-chested, Orange-bellied and now Superb Parrots. Sure I get a tick, but I don't get the usual "Ahh, isn't it cute" factor that even the most hardened of listers still secretly enjoys.

Had time to shower, sleep and confound my already perplexed housemates even further before catching the plane to Hobart where I was met by Andrew Stafford, a fellow Collingwood tragic and rather than spend the day birding (well we did get some time in on Mt. Wellington where it seemed the entire population of Hobart had gone snow mad) we ensconsed ourselves in front of the TV at the Louffre Pub to watch a magnificent Magpie demolition of those Crows. Oh yes.

This turn of events would have almost made up for the boat being cancelled, which, fortunately, despite an ominous forcast, still went ahead. The June trip having been cancelled, I really needed to clean up on these Southern Ocean birds, particularly since the Ashmore Trip had also been called off. Basically I figured if I wanted to get to 700 I needed to add at least five species here, and that would mean a couple of exceptionally good birds.

As it turns out, in what was a great trip, I only added two. I finally got good enough views of Antarctic Prion  to satisfy me ( it was a great day for sorting out Prion identification as we also had great views of Fairy and Slender-billed) and late in the day a very gorgeous Southern Fulmar slipped past our scanning eyes to reveal itself sitting by the side of the boat, giving absolutely brilliant views. (It really is a top bird Tony P.) Sadly the Blue Petrel that a couple of people saw whiz by never made a return visit, leaving me three short of what I was hoping for, putting the 700 most probably out of reach.

Thought I could compensate with Masked Owl as it was Andrew who had turned me on to the Waterworks site when he had sent me a stunning photo of the bird he had seen there last year. Turns out rather than have any solid gen, he had merely fluked upon the bird whilst driving, and we had no such luck either at The Waterworks Reserve or at the Pittwater Road site.

And so I returned home with the list on 611. Whether it was the dissapointment of feeling 700 was out of reach, or exhaustion after three months constant tavel and intense birding, or just depression at coming back to Melbourne, I'm not sure, but I kind of fell into a heap for the next three weeks and very little got done.

Could this be the premature end of The Big Twitch?