birding-aus

Australian Sarus Crane subspecies

To: "Andrew Taylor" <>, <>
Subject: Australian Sarus Crane subspecies
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 00:33:50 +1000
A comment on the details of the Sarus Cranes, as below: The reference to the naming of the Australian sub-species of the Sarus Crane, is: Schodde, R. (1988) 'New subspecies of Australian Birds', Canberra Bird Notes 13(4): 119-122 (This was actually issued on 28-2-1989 and the page number is not CBN 13,1 as listed in Krajewski & Wood, Emu 95: 99-105, as cited below). The holotype is ANWC 38355. The sub-species was named Grus antigone gillae in honour of Mrs. H.B. Gill, who in 1969 first reported the species in Australia and who prepared the holotype.

Given the peculiar circumstances in which this article appeared in CBN, I can say that the fact that this bird was included among the twelve newly described sub-species, was a major part of the reason why the article was accepted into Canberra Bird Notes by the editor at the time (me). Even with the controversy that preceded and followed publication of that article, nearly 14 years later I have never doubted that I did the right thing.

Philip