birding-aus

The Big Twitch- Julatten, Julatten

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: The Big Twitch- Julatten, Julatten
From: "Sean Dooley" <>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 16:19:16 +1000
Warning: the following may come very close to constituting an advertisement, but I would like to say that I have no pecuniary interest in Kingfisher Park at Julatten, I just think its a top spot. There may be places, even within the local area, that have better birding (for instance I have yet to visit places like Cassowary House) but there is something about Julatten that feels just right. Part of it is the surrounds- even though it is a dry year up there as well, the grounds still seem lush and green and peaceful.

But mainly its the birds. It may be a bit dudish, but there is something wonderful about seeing so many grouse rainforest species in such comfortable surrounds, rather than clambering through precipitous rainforest ridges, battling your way through Stinging Trees and spiky Wait-a-while Vines for an unsatisfactory partial glimpse of a bird skulking in the gloom.

Not that I didn't do that over the four days I was based at Julatten, with several trips up Mt. Lewis to chase after the harder to see high altitude species. On the first day I added four such species: Mountain Thornbill, Atherton Scrub-wren, Bridled Honeyeater and Golden Bowerbird  as well as Topknot Pigeon - a bird I should have seen well before this.

Yet again the male Golden Bowerbird managed to elude me. And though I'm sure the females are very nice in their own right, with a great personality, a fine sense of humour and a unique inner beauty, they're just nowhere near as sexy as the brilliant males. I did manage to find a female on a nest hidden deep in a roadside embankment, but do you think I could fine the male's bower which is a ruddy great structure festooned with moss, lichen and flowers? Of course not.

Unfortunately both Blue-faced Parrot Finch and Red-necked Crake weren't too be found. The Crake is only coming down to Kingfisher Park after rains and the Parrot Finch, often hard to find at this time of year, is currently completely absent from Mt. Lewis because the local Parks people sprayed the clearing where they most often congregate with herbicide to get rid of the lantana. It worked- the lantana is gone, but so are all the grasses the birds fed on. When asked whether they knew this was renowned spot for Blue-faced Parrot Finch, the Rangers responded with astonishment. They are now working on a management plan. A case of closing the aviary gate after the finch has bolted.

That night I joined the Kingfisher Park folks on their spotlight walk. Well worth the twenty bucks as we saw the juvenile Lesser Sooty Owl almost fully fledged, come out of its hollow and fly off a minute later- they had timed it to perfection. And if that wasn't good enough, then came the mammals: Long-nosed Bandicoot; Spectacled Fruit-Bat; Great White-tailed Rat; and even greater- two Striped Possums. These little fellas would have to be the cutest of all Australia's marsupials. They both sat feeding, seemingly unconcerned with our presence as they guzzled the sap flowing from the trunks of the rainforest trees they had tapped.

John Young, the renowned wildlife filmaker was at Kingfisher Park to get footage of this very species, but his batteries had been playing up and he'd stopped filming ten minutes before we saw the little critters. Talking with him the next day, we decided we should make a documentary entitled "You Should Have Been Here Yesterday" which would feature shots of the perches that rare species had recently been sitting on.

The next day I was up the mountain again and added the remaining altitude species: Bower's Shrike-thrush, Fernwren, Tooth-billed Bowerbird and Chowchilla. In order to get the Bowerbird I had to clamber up a very steep ridge to a bower site, a small cleared patch on the rainforest floor that the male was starting to decorate rather simply with fresh green leaves. The bird was wary, but after sitting quietly for a few minutes, it eventually flew in with a new leaf. Initially startled, the bird flew behind a tree and rather like a child playing "peek-a-boo"  would peer around the side of the tree at me, its great thick neck swivelling as far as it could so it could get a better view. Then it would fly behind another tree and peer out in the same way, acting as if it thought I couldn't see him. What a total dag of a bird.

On Chris Dahlberg's famous Daintree River cruise I failed to see anything new for the year, but as usual it was a fantastic trip. You'd think that cruising the same stretch of water nearly every day would drive you to boredom, yet Chris seems to be as enthusiastic as he was when I did this trip four years ago. We didn't see the Great-billed Heron that I was hoping for (apparently another boat operator called the Mangrove Man got one that same morning) but we made up for it with a roll call of 48 species including up to four Little Kingfishers, a nesting Wompoo Fruit-Dove with its single white egg sitting on a nest made up of about four twigs, hanging precariously over the creek, and an Estuarine Crocodile sunning itself on the bank, creating much excitement amongst both the passengers and even our guide who must have seen hundreds in his time.

After Daintree I thought I would pop into Port Douglas to see how 'real' people spent their holidays. At first I thought this taste of civilsation was awright when the first people I encountered were a couple of cute young things wandering the main street in their swimming (very) briefs, but then the next couple I saw were a pair of rotund German tourists in similar skimpy garb. It was like looking at a couple of overstuffed sausages bulging out of their casings as they strolled up the main street.

I was just about to leave when I bumped into my God Brother (son of my God parents) whom I hadn't seen for ten years. Turns out he and his girlfriend had eloped and were getting married that day down by the foreshore. So rather than go back to Julatten, I stayed on and acted as a witness for the nuptials. Can't wait to speak to my Godmother. "It was a great wedding. Oh that's right, you weren't there were you? I was. It was lovely."

My final morning at Julatten saw me finally catch up with Yellow-eyed (Barred) Cuckoo-shrike in the drizzling rain. Andrew at Kingfisher Park had been getting them every morning on his morning bird walks but until this moment they had eluded me. Travelling south, I picked up the White-browed Robin at Big Mitchell Creek. This is a very underrated bird I reckon, and I always get a thrill finding one. No such luck with Black-throated Finch but I did manage to rack up a total of 125 species as I made my way through the Atherton Tableland. I missed out again on a male Golden Bowerbird which was supposed to have a bower outside the ladies toilets at The Crater National Park, though the looks I was getting as I lurked around with binoculars meant I was probably very lucky to not get arrested.

The birding highlight turned out to be something of an anti-climax, but for a while there I thought I had a female Papuan Harrier. Turns out it was most probably an immature Spotted Harrier but this bird was heavily streaked white on the head and neck, and had the yellow eye of an adult bird, rather than the dull brown eye of the young bird it appeared to be. After watching it with mounting excitement for about an hour I reluctantly decided it must have been a Spotted on the basis of its flight pattern and long, wedge-ended, barred tail. A disappointing result as this could have been bird 599 for the year.

By evening I was in the sugar town of Innisfail without adding anything new. Could tomorrow be the day I break the magic 600 figure?