birding-aus

Minippi (Brisbane) disaster

To: <>
Subject: Minippi (Brisbane) disaster
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 22:32:51 +1000
A note mainly for Brisbane birdos.

On the eastern outskirts of Brisbane we have a pleasant Council area, the
Minippi Parkland.  The tidal Bulimba Creek flows through it and it has an
island in a small lake and was much favoured by water-birds.  Not for much
longer, though.

If you want to see any water in the lake, you'll need to be quick.  I
visited the area this afternoon for the first time for a few months and was
shocked to see it is now 90% covered by the water fern Salvinia.  It will
shortly be totally choked and useless to most waterbirds.

I hope tomorrow, to check with the Brisbane City Council to see what they
are doing about it.  I hope I'm right in thinking that there is a biological
control that has been used successfully elsewhere in Queensland.

Syd