birding-aus

Vote for the birds!

Subject: Vote for the birds!
From: "david camilleri" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:58:04 -0400
Dear Birders:

Next year it is going to be an Election Year in Malta where a small but vibrant and brave political party called AD (Alternattiva Demokratika - the Malta Green Party) is running for election. They are the catalyst for a change in Malta especially concerning the environment and the abolishing of migratory bird killing.

This is the only political party who fights head on with the Maltese bird killers - 'hunters'.

They need our support!

How can we support them from so far away?

The best support we can give them is our vote. And we will be voting for them if we live in Malta and Ghawdex. But most of us live scattered around the world and not in Malta.

So how can we help them?

We can help by writing encouraging letters to the Maltese newspapers.

We can also help financially by sending them some money to help in the cost of advertising. Any amount given would be great. They are in a dire need of financial support. This will help them not just financially but also gives them good morale support.

Your contribution of 5 to 20 Euros or Dollars or any amount, you can afford, will make a big contribution to the party and the coming campaign to get elected in parliament.

Even one member elected in the Maltese Parliament can make a big difference. They can abolish Spring hunting in Malta and Ghawdex and abolish bird trapping entirely.

They aim to eventually abolish hunting in Autumn as well. They want to make Malta and Ghawdex a natural migratory bird refuge and a bird watching heaven in the Mediterranean.

Isn't that what we want?

Any comments on this idea, any suggestions are welcome. I am looking forward to your thoughts.

Any donations may be sent by regular airmail to Malta at the address below.

The Executive Committee
Alternattiva Demokratika
149, Archbishop's Street,
Valletta, MALTA.

Cheques/money orders payable to "Alternattiva Demokratika"

Cheers,

david camilleri

The politics of hunting - 18/10/02 The Malta Independent
http://www.independent.com.mt/daily/opinionview.asp?id=823

It is only Alternattiva Demokratika that is demanding
concrete action against widespread illegal hunting. Our commitment is enshrined in our electoral manifesto. We are the only political party that wants hunting to be abolished in spring, in line with the EU Birds Directive and the Berne Convention. Therefore, we do not agree with the deal that the government has struck with the EU.