birding-aus

Powerful owl in my backyard - Lower Blue Mountains

Subject: Powerful owl in my backyard - Lower Blue Mountains
From: <>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 12:55:36 +1000
I normally only lurk on this board, but I just had to share this sighting.

On Friday night at 11.00pm my husband heard a strange hissing noise coming from
the back garden. We opened the back door and shone our torch into the garden to
see one of our regular possums wedged into a crook in a small tree about 3
metres away. She had a baby on her back and we wondered why she wasn't moving
(our possums aren't tame).

It was only when we turned the spotlight on that we saw what was getting her so
worked up. A powerful owl was sitting only a few metres away from her, perched
up on a higher branch and staring intently at her. It seemed unphased by our
presence, even though we were standing directly in front of it.

We watched the standoff for a few minutes and took a photo before the owl,
probably bothered by the light, flew off into the bush. The possum continued
hissing for the next half hour or so..we presume she's still alive.

Kathy Burroughes
Valley Heights