birding-aus

Prospect Reservoir NSW (Lots of Whiskered Terns and Great Crested Grebes

To: <>
Subject: Prospect Reservoir NSW (Lots of Whiskered Terns and Great Crested Grebes) 19 Oct 2002
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:52:28 +1000
Very close to home, I popped in for an hour or so at Prospect Reservoir (approx. 40 km west of Sydney CBD, near Blacktown) last Saturday morning (the only day I can go here as it is often too full of people on Sundays) to see what birds are about.

Great Crested Grebes (c 200)
Hoary-headed Grebe (80 plus in breeding plumage)
Australasian Grebe (only 3)
Whiskered Terns (150 plus most in breeding plumage)
White-bellied Sea-eagle (one adult)
Hardhead (only 6)

The coral trees and bottlebrush were in full flower but did not attract any interesting honeyeaters (apart from Little Wattlebirds, Noisy Miners, White-plumed and New Holland Honeyeaters). I thought I heard one Scarlet Honeyeater (these coral trees are often full of them at this time of year but were somewhat scarce or quiet on Saturday).

Also, most of the bushland around the northern end of the reservoir has also been severly burnt just recently.

Edwin Vella