birding-aus

Birds going bonkers

To: "Tony Russell" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Birds going bonkers
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 18:45:27 +1000
Hi All,

Had a Buff-banded Rail doing the same sort of thing this morning after bathing in the spray of a sprinkler and wet mint in the kitchen herb garden. I was wondering if the mint was some kind of stimulant as the bird's behaviour was very atypical. We have been watching this individual for so long and feel we have proprietary rights. It has never behaved in this maniacal fashion before; running through the herbs jumping over nonexisting obsicals, hiding under bushes then rushing out with one wing raised in a threat display to where no bird was, let alone another rail, jumping up into our rock pile garden playing king of the castle wihth its own shadow and the racing back to  hide in the mint before resuming its bath. And I thought people were strange 'birds'.

Regards,

Alan