birding-aus

Spotlighting for Grass Owls

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Spotlighting for Grass Owls
From: Ian Montgomery <>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 12:20:31 +1000
A couple of weeks ago and in response to Geoff Walker's posting about Grass Owls at the Tyto Wetlands in Ingham, north of Townsville, I went up there one evening armed with an ordinary torch. Sure enough, I glimpsed at least one Tyto-shaped form doing what Grass Owls do and a Large-tailed Nightjar hawking over some trees. The latter had already identified itself by its unmistakable voice.

Last Saturday I went to Bunning's Warehouse in Townsville and bought a powerful re-chargeable spotlight (mains or cigarette lighter) for $25 and set off again with camping gear in the boot. I set up camp at Jourama Falls and headed off to the Tyto Wetlands at dusk, stopping to look at five Green Pygmy-geese and a Jacana at Cattle Creek. Near the cark-park at Tyto Wetlands there was a Pallid Cuckoo, some Crimson Finches and a couple of pairs of Rufous-throated Honeyeaters. On cue, three Grass Owls appeared and started hunting over the area in front of the observation platform, their eyes shining in the spotlight. They didn't seem to like it much and landed in the grass where I could see 3 pairs of eyes looking in my direction. Feeling satisfied and a little unwelcome, I left them and the now vocal Large-tailed Nightjar in peace. On the way back to the car, I saw two more Grass Owls singly including a female which circled overhead, heard an Owlet-nightjar and watched a Boobook flying past.

When I got back to Jourama Falls, a Tawny Frogmouth flew past the car and landed, for inspection, on a branch beside the road. Several Large-tailed Nightjars started up a percussion band later though I didn't manage to see any of them, though a Brush-tailed Possum near my campsite fled when subjected to the spotlight.

Why have I managed for so long without a decent spotlight? I've had my $25 worth already.

Happy birding,
Ian

Ian Montgomery Townsville North Queensland Australia
My bird photos: <http://www.users.bigpond.com/ian.montgomery/>