birding-aus

Strange Parrot - DANGEROUS !

To: <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Strange Parrot - DANGEROUS !
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 11:54:46 +1000
Fair warning and I suppose we shouldn't wait to find out. However I wonder how relevant are analogies to Europe in this issue. The Garden Birdwatch Handbook (by Andrew Cannon, based in England) also carries a caution about the increase in population of the Rose-ringed Parakeet. However niches for parrots are already quite saturated in Australia, so the Rose-ringed Parakeets is not likely to get the easy opening that it has achieved, in places like Barcelona. I agree though that if possible such birds should be caught and reconfined to their original role as a pet. I had one that arrived at my house in Canberra, it was barely able to perch upright on a gum tree, indeed it dangled from a clump of leaves. I doubt that it would have survived long.

Philip