birding-aus

Terns at the sewage works

To: "Birding Aus Messages" <>
Subject: Terns at the sewage works
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:20:20 +1000
g'day all,
Yesterday, by coincidence I saw 2 Whiskered Tern at our Sewage Ponds. Although frequent visitors to Lake Moondarra these were my first record at the ponds. The 2 birds were fully plumaged but at the lake there is a mixture of plumages.

Niven mentions White-winged Black Tern. They were first recorded at the Isa only a few years ago.

The number of Freckled Ducks at the ponds had increased to 4. Furthermore, at the ponds, I recorded my first Curlew Sandpiper for the Mount Isa area. I thank Philip Griffin from Sth Aust who pointed it out to me. Philip is touring with Co-Opera giving us bushies a bit of culture with a presentation of Tosca. It is wonderful to have experienced Wader birdwatchers help me nut out the difficult ones during the wader season.

At Lake Corella and nearby, amongst the normal 45 species was a single Freckled Duck. I had heard somewhere of a report of Yellow Chats at the lake but we could only find Orange Chats. A possible misidentification ? At a bore drain in SW Qld where there were both species, I could not tell the two apart unless I had a front view.

We had a fruitless drive into Warrigal Waterhole hoping for Painted Finch. The first time it has dried up in the 30 years that I have visited it.

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.