birding-aus

Drought birds

Subject: Drought birds
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:23:23 +1000
Hello birders,

Just had a very busy week or so guiding various groups and now I finally
have the chance to sit down and report a few birds I've seen during the
last few days around the NSW central tablelands.

On Sunday 6th October there were 3 Freckled Ducks at Lake Wallace
(Wallerawang, near Lithgow) and a number of Masked Woodswallows. I returned
for another look on Tuesday afternoon but could find no sign of the
Freckled Ducks. However there was a large mob of woodswallows - many Masked
and a few White-browed - hawking low over the water. There were also 7
Whiskered Terns and thousands of Hardheads and Coots at this lake. The
rapidly fading light prevented me from attempting a count but I'll try and

Speaking of Hardheads, this species now seems to be a constant presence in
growing numbers at Wentworth Falls Lake in the upper Blue Mountains,
possibly helped by the recent removal of most of the feral ducks and geese,
but I'm sure mostly due to the drought. Yesterday there was also an eclipse
male White-winged Triller at the lake.

On the 4th, a Richard's Pipit was also a fairly unusual sighting at King's
Tableland near Wentworth Falls. I've also had a report of a male Red-capped
Robin at Wentworth Falls during late September. This is a bird which
regularly turns up in the area during drought years.

I was back in the Capertee Valley on Saturday 5th and the Regent
Honeyeaters were still ensconced along the river where we had seen them a
few days previously. I saw at least 5 that day in a small area. The
woodswallows weren't in such huge numbers as they had been earlier in the
week and those that I saw were generally flying much higher.

Not connected with the drought, but it was nice to hear Rufous Fantail at
Medlow Bath on Saturday and Black-faced Monarch at Mount Wilson on Sunday,
fresh from their northern wintering areas.

Cheers

Carol

Carol Probets
Katoomba