birding-aus

Central NSW Mallee Trip Report (long)

Subject: Central NSW Mallee Trip Report (long)
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 10:39:46 +1000
Spent an eventful 4 days covering almost 2,000 kms in C NSW. I camped at
Round Hill for one night and stayed a night each in Griffith and Lake
Cargelligo. I visited the following places: Jindalee SF, Ingalba NR,
Pucawan NR, Binya SF, Cocoparra NP, Fivebough Swamp, Lake Wyangan, Nericon
Swamp, Campbell Swamp, Lake Cargelligo STW, Round Hill NR, Nombinnie NR,
Back Creek SF, Charcoal Tank NR and others. And no I didnt see or hear any
Malleefowl or Red-lored Whistler but did get 24 lifers. I also ran into a
couple birdwatching/camping near the wheat field at Round Hill who were
also from Canberra and a non-birdwatching family camping at the Whoey Tank.
No other birdos seen on rest of trip.

Highlights:

- 9 species of raptor seen including Spotted Harrier (Binya), Swamp Harrier
(Fivebough), Whistling Kite (4 at Lake Wyangan, 2 at Lake Cargelligo STW),
Black Kite (Lachlan River).

- Literally almost stepped on a pair of Spotted Nightjars in broad daylight
in a nice patch of mallee. Watched their ungainly flight and one landed
only 10 metres away on the same path so I could continue viewing it.
Strange birds. Also seen here were Splendid Fairy-wrens, Purple-backed
Fairy-wrens, clear views of calling Shy Heathwrens on 2 occasions, and a
nesting pair of White-backed Swallows (using hole in old mine earthwork).
Other birds were Yellow-plumed Honeyeater, Mulga Parrot, Mallee Ringneck
and the constant eerie call of the Crested Bellbird (one flew over campsite
later). Large flock of nomadic Masked and White-browed Woodswallow ever
present (in fact large flocks at most areas I visited) as well as Rainbow
Bee-eaters and Peaceful Doves. The Gilbert's Whistlers could only be heard
calling very early in the morning at 6 am and I only glimpsed one (a
female) once.

- As I turned off into Nombinnie NR I saw a bird fly in front of my car. I
jumped out and watched a Southern Scrub-robin kill a beetle. This happened
to be in the area I was told I would find them. Also a possible brief
glimpse of a Chestnut Quail-thrush as it flew into cover with fanned tail
showing some white? nearby. Near the wheat paddock were Splendid Fairy-wren
, and Inland Thornbill.

- Along "Chat Alley" in the small Lignum Swamp (thanks to all who gave me
directions to get here!) I didnt expect to see much as it was bone dry.
However, I got out and walked around and pretty soon some ~30 Orange Chats
appeared perched on top of the bushes. Soon a group of White-winged
Fairy-wrens also appeared and affording great close-up views of the blue
male. Some of the Chats would fly high into the sky lost to sight but I
could hear them calling still. Then a pair of White-fronted Chats flew over
my head to an adjacent paddock. A Crimson Chat would have made it perfect
(3 chats in one place)...but it was not to be.

- Fivebough Swamp near Leeton although dry in many places gave me many
Glossy Ibis, a wonderful adult Little Bittern, a Marsh Sandpiper, a
White-backed Swallow, an Intermediate Egret(?), 100s of Black-winged Stilt
and Red-necked Avocet among others.

- A lone Painted Honeyeater, and several Brown Songlarks in grass around
hide (can anyone tell me if are they found here??), at Nericon Swamp near
Griffith. Many more Painted Honeyeaters calling in Back Creek SF.

- Superb Parrots near Harden and around Young.

- Blue Bonnets, Mallee Ringnecks and a Spotted Bowerbird at Euabalong West.

- Pulletop NR was disappointing. Other mallee areas where much better. Did
find Splendid Fairy-wren, Striped Honeyeater, Yellow-plumed Honeyeater,
Red-capped Robin there among others.

- Around Whoey Tank at Round Hill (all dams dry) were Mulga Parrot, Mallee
Ringneck, Spotted Bowerbird, a single Bar-shouldered Dove, Singing
Honeyeater, White-fronted Honeyeater, Grey-crowned Babbler, Yellow-plumed
Honeyeater, Speckled Warbler, Crested Bellbird, Emu, Hooded Robin, both
nomadic Woodswallows etc. In fact the first birds I saw at Round Hill were
congregrating around a small pond by the railway line and included
Spiny-cheeked, Yellow-plumed and White-fronted Honeyeaters.

- At Binya SF (along Gandys Rd and Pine Drive mostly) were Blue Bonnet,
Brown Treecreeper, Speckled Warbler, Double-barred Finch, Hooded Robin,
Splendid Fairy-wren, Chestnut-rumped Thornbill, both nomadic Woodswallows,
Cockatiel, Jacky Winter, Diamond Firetail, and Southern Whiteface, and a
lot of Emus. Briefly visited Spring Hill area of Cocoparra NP but not many
birds around.

- 2 Pink-eared Ducks at Lake Wyangan.

- Lake Cargelligo STW was alive with bird activity at 8 in the morning.
Dozens of Red-capped Plover some with young, Black-fronted Dotterel,
Red-necked Stint, Marsh Sandpiper, Red-kneed Dotterel, Sharp-tailed
Sandpiper, and possibly Pectoral Sandpiper(?). ~100 Whiskered Tern, 100s of
waterfowl, Black-winged Stilt and Red-necked Avocet. A amusing procession
of some 50 Black-tailed Native-hen, 3 Cockatiel (also seen near Barellan
and at Charcoal Tank), Purple-backed Fairy-wren, 1 White-fronted Chat, 3
Shelduck.

I was amazed at how difficult it was to catch a glimpse of Gilbert's
Whistler and the huge numbers of Rufous Whistler around. And the call of
the Crested Bellbird still echoes in my head days after I have returned to
Canberra.

Cheers

Marnix Zwankhuizen
NGUNNAWAL  ACT