birding-aus

Kelp Gull,Woody Point

To: "birding-aus" <>, "Mark & Lan Vaney" <>
Subject: Kelp Gull,Woody Point
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 18:35:00 +1000
Looked for the Kelp Gull every day this week, without success. But today got the call from Bob Inglis and back down the highway I went.Found the gull easily on the shingle beach left of the jetty,scoped it up and saw that it has what appears to be a thin wooden skewer impaled into its right upper breast, protruding about 6 inches.It looks like the skewers used on BBQ's for shiskebabs.It's hard to understand how the skewer got there as the angle of entry is 45 degrees from above.One wonders if some foul (human) play was involved.
       In spite of this, the gull is flying and generally behaving unconcerned.It doesn't attempt to remove the skewer, was seeing-off some terns from a patch of water it wanted to itself.We watched it flying around the jetty for some time, then loafing on the water.
       Once home, contacted the Australian Seabird Rescue folk. Don't know what they can or will do, but they said they would keep me posted. Thanks for the call Bob.

                      Russ Lamb, Maleny,SEQ