birding-aus

South Western WA trip highlights

Subject: South Western WA trip highlights
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 12:10:14 +0930

Hi all,

Just a short note to thank Frank O'Connor, Dave Harper & Peter Ewin for supplying information on bird sites that greatly helped our trip to south western WA last month.

We copped some pretty wet and windy weather at times, which slowed us down somewhat, but we still achieved our goal of getting all the currently recognised sw WA endemics, as well as one potential split - Crested (Western) Shrike tit and we saw some other very nice birds on the way. Details of the sites referred to can be found on Frank O'Connor's web site: http://members.iinet.net.au/~foconnor/

Highlights are as follows:

Short-billed Black-Cockatoo: Several groups seen in Stirling Ranges, a single waterlogged bird seen in a pine at Albany

Long-billed Black-Cockatoo: Flock seen about 2-3 km N of Augusta on Augusta - Dunsborough (Caves) road

Western Corella: Only seen at Rocky Gully

Western Rosella: Seen at many localities eg Albany suburbs; Augusta etc.

Red-capped Parrot: Seen at many localities, eg Cheyne Beach Caravan Park, road between Albany & Two people's bay.

Noisy Scrubbird: Seen at Cheyne Beach (near the caravan park) east of Albany. Heard at car park at Waychinicup NP & along the walking track from Little Beach to Two People's Bay.

Rufous Treecreeper: easily seen at Dryandra forest, Stirling Range, etc.

Blue-breasted Fairy-wren: Only seen at Dryandra forest (Kawana road banding site).

Red-winged Fairy-wren: Seen at several sites, including tame ones hopping around our feet at Cheyne Beach caravan park.

Western Bristlebird: Only seen near power pole 104 on Cheyne Beach Road.

Western Thornbill: Seen Bungendore State Forest, near Perth and at Dryandra forest.

Little (Western) Wattlebird: Seen at Dryandra forest and at Cheyne Beach caravan park.

Western Spinebill: Seen at several locations

Western Yellow Robin: Easily seen at Dryandra (Ochre Trail) and a few other sites.

White-breasted Robin: Seen at seveal locations; easy at Cheyne beach

Red-eared Firetail: Only seen at Cheyne Beach caravan park

Other highlights: Close views of Yellow-nosed and Shy Albatross on a whale watching trip from Augusta (with Humpback and Southern Right Whales also seen), Square-tailed kite - single bird seen well soaring over the road about 20 km N of Augusta, Regent Parrot (at Stirling Ranges, near the Cafe), Elegant Parrot (At Stirling Ranges (caravan park); Albany & Augusta), Rock Parrot at Cape Leeuwin lighthouse, Western Whipbird - heard only near Cheyne Beach caravan park and near power pole 104 on Cheyne Beach Road (so I hope they don't split 'Western' from 'Mallee' - having had more success spotting the 'Mallee' form of this species on Kanagaroo Island in the past!). Crested (Western) Shrike-tit - single bird feeding and calling softly in woodland between Kawana road banding site and Kawana road heath, Dryandra forest (see Frank O'Connor's web page for details).

Cheers,

Quentin Paynter