birding-aus

California Quail

To: "bird" <>
Subject: California Quail
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 13:24:31 +0930
G'day all,
    After a totally debilitating 4.30 a.m. start this morning a couple of us went looking for the California Quail reported yesterday by Peter Ginnane.  Arriving at the site about 5.15 was a bit ambitious as it was still dark, but as the light improved we , with Peter, patrolled the area on foot until 6.45 without success. We then took off to the Onkaparinga wetlands for a quick look there and then returned to the quail site at 8.00 for a last drive through.
And there they were, a male and female and what looked like a young but colouring up male.
Probably unable to tick them as they are most likely escapes, but it was very nice to see them for the first time ever. We are going to King Island in November so expect to firm up the tick there.
After that we went off to Belair Nat Pk. where a White-throated Gerygone had been reported the week before. Given good directions and a tape of the call we also found this  (lonely) bird after about an hour. Having seen and heard many of these in the eastern states ID was simple, but in SA they are quite uncommon.
So, a two bird successful twitch.
Once I've sent this email I'll probably go crash out for the rest of the afternoon.
Anton.