birding-aus

Hey Tee Pee .... anything like this in Oz? thee bird army grows

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Hey Tee Pee .... anything like this in Oz? thee bird army grows
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 17:20:19 -0700 (PDT)

G'day All,

Have you ever thought about doing a Big Sit? This is an alternative form of bird-racing, on which I have been keen for a number of years, mainly because I think it is greener than chasing round the countryside but partly because I think the skills it demands and develops are important
for any birder.

Blood on your hands just to see a bird surely means something?

Well, we all have our chance with the 10th International Big Sit organised by the New Haven Bird Club of Connecticut, which is twinned with the Bedfordshire Bird Club. I have entered for the last four years, Sitting on my local patch and learning a lot about what can move through during a day. It is a very friendly competition and it really doesn't matter whether you see a lot of species or only a few, because absolutely any team can win the Golden Bird prize, which is drawn by lot from all the species seen by all teams.

This year's International Big Sit is on Sunday 13th October. If you have ever wondered about a Big Sit, or even if you have never heard of them before, why not give it a try this year? Point your browsers at

 http://members.aol.com/nhbirdclub

for the rules and registration details.

Have fun!

Peter Wilkinson