birding-aus

Re: White Box Camp near Merriwa NSW

To: <>
Subject: Re: White Box Camp near Merriwa NSW
From: "Lynn Jenkin" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 20:23:35 +1100

Hi All

With the drought and total fire bans , we decided not to camp  as originally planned but stayed Sunday night in Mudgee and went out early to White Box Camp and back through Merriwa. Not many birds around.

Highlights were :

1. Emu near Byolong .
2. Red capped Robins at Munghorn Gap in the car park
3. Brown Goshawk on nest at Avisford Reserve , Mudgee
4. Clamorous Reed Warbler on nest at O'Brien's Crossing ( on the road to White Box Camp)
5. Southern Whiteface x 2 just before White Box Camp in Goulborn River National Park
6. Also here were 6 White browed Babblers & 2 Western Gerygones.
7.At White Box Camp Brown Treecreepers x 5, a group of Buff-rumped Thornbills and 1 Spotted Quailthrush(female) and three Varied Sitellas
8. At the dam nearly opposite the WBC entrance was a pair of Hooded Robins , a Diamond Firetail came in to drink.
9. On the way to Merriwa, just inside the GRNP boundary stopped for a Common Bronzewing on the road and a male Red-capped Robin flew across.
10. 2 x Pallid Cuckoos , 1 before Merriwa and 1 before Denman.
11. Brown Songlark (female) at Arrowfield.

Missed out on Turquoise Parrot , Woodswallows ( except Dusky ) and as we found nothing flowering none of the "Western" Honeyeaters I was hoping for.

Cheers

Dick Jenkin