birding-aus

Latham's Snipe- Victoria

Subject: Latham's Snipe- Victoria
From: Chris Tzaros <>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:08:03 +1000
Hi birding-aussers,

Last week (12-13th Sept), whilst conducting Orange-bellied Parrot searches
at Nirranda near Peterborough in sw Vic, I saw three Latham's Snipe.  One
was flushed from a small wetland in the Bay of Islands Coastal Park, one
from a wetland on a dairy farm and one flying over.  Also, several small
flocks of Sharp-tailed Sandpipers flying over.

These are the first Latham's Snipe I've seen for the season, and they
should start turning up everywhere from about now on.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris Tzaros
Co-ordinator, Threatened Bird Network
Birds Australia (Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union)
National Office
415 Riversdale Rd
Hawthorn East, Vic., 3123
Ph: 03-9882-2622