birding-aus

Birding Australia RFI

To: <>, <>
Subject: Birding Australia RFI
From: "Tim Murphy" <>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 08:31:11 +0800
The only country I have found it possible to bird without a car is Japan -
and even then I've found it necessary to hire one from time to time. I am
currently in Perth and am finding it almost impossible and so have
accelerated a plan to buy one here - my cars back east are on last legs and
not worth the cost of bringing over.

The trouble with buses is that they go from town to town - and with a few
exceptions like the Penguin Parade on Philip Island, they don't go to
birding places and they don't go at the right time. They, funnily enough,
don't run trips to places like Knuth Bore at Alice or the spot just off the
ferry terminal at Bunny Island. They, of course, don't stop for that
interesting raptor or that hopeful looking spot they pass along the road.

So my advice is, if at all possible, beg or borrow a car or rent (It is not
THAT expensive and you will discover that our dollar is still a 98 pound
weakling - I normally use Delta/EuroCar). You'll see far more of the
country.

I expect that I will probably still be in WA when you are here but otherwise
I would have been please to show you around - I otherwise live in Brisbane.

Regards

Tim Murphy