birding-aus

Re: Capertee Spring - Regents & Bee Eaters

Subject: Re: Capertee Spring - Regents & Bee Eaters
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:20:30 +1000
A week or so ago Timothy Hyde pointed out that Bee-eaters were back in the
Capertee Valley.  I've been away on southern Qld for the last week so this
is the first opportunity I have had to respond.  I've also been "off the
list" while away so am not sure what has transpired since.

I also recorded Bee-eaters the same weekend Timothy had them.  I also saw
the first White-browed Woodswallows.  These are a little earlier than
usual but given the dry conditions not unexpected.  I'm disappointed that
Timothy and Lynda didn't find Regents as their property is one of our
official survey sites in the valley.  On Sunday 8 September I did surveys
at the bridge where Timothy suggested people look (again one of our
regular survey sites) without locating any Regents.  While this is a very
regular site for Regents (BEWARE - PRIVATE PROPERTY BOTH SIDES OF THE ROAD
HERE) the severe winter frosts has resulted in the death of the bulk of
the mistletoe along the river thus denying the Regents of their primary
nectar source at this time of year.

On the plus side I saw a Regent fly across the road just west of the Glen
Alice hall and Regents were seen behind the church (again, both official
survey sites).  Hopefully those finishing the surveys this weekend will
chalk these up.

Could anyone seeing Regent Honeyeaters this year PLEASE let me know.  The
dry conditions and lack of flowering this spring will probably result in
little, if any, breeding this year.  It is very important that we keep
tabs on where the birds are, and what they are doing.

By the way, the lack of breeding in the Capertee Valley this year is not
the end of the earth.  Regents had poor breeding seasons in the valley in
1994 and 1998.  This is merely a natural occurrence.

Cheers

David

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo  NSW  2830
Ph: 02 6883 5335 or Freecall 1800 621 056
Fax: 02 6884 9382

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.