birding-aus

birding around Cowra and Forbes

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: birding around Cowra and Forbes
From: "Stephen Gross" <>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 19:26:39 +1000
Went for a drive to Cowra and into Conimbla National Park today. To begin the day there were a group of ten Superb Parrots on the outskirts of Cowra on the Wyangala Dam road, a new tick for me. The into Conimbla NP I went and wandered along the Wallaby and Ironbark tracks. I found the Ironbark track was the better of the two tracks for birds, particularly for western birds. The variety of habitat including heath was excellent, (I almost thought I was back in the Royal NP with the heath). Birds seen in Conimbla NP included:-
Common Bronzewing
Turquoise Parrot
White Throated Treecreeper
Brown Treecreeper
Western Gerygone
Buff Rumped Thronbill
White Eared Honeyeater
Yellow Tufted Honeyeater
White Naped Honeyeater
Brown Headed Honeyeater
Eastern Yellow Robin
Rufous Whistler
Restless Flycatcher

With some more time up my sleeve I decided to head up to Forbes and pop into Back Yamma SF. Spent the late afternoon avoiding motorbikes and the cattle that  were grazing throughout the forest. Birding highlights here were:-
Inland Thornbill (new for me)
Speckled Warbler
Red Capped Robin
Hooded Robin
Grey Crowned Babbler
White Breasted Woodswallow
Dusky Woodswallow
The woodswallows were circling together high in the sky. I spent the last fifteen minutes in the state forest watching an Echidna poking around under logs.

Regards Steve Gross
Orange NSW