birding-aus

Geraldton Kalbarri Birds Sept 2002

To: <>
Subject: Geraldton Kalbarri Birds Sept 2002
From: "Claire Stevenson" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 17:14:31 +0800
We had a great four days birding. Unfortunately we didn't get to see as much as we'd have like to. Once we got out to the gorges it was just too hot to concentrate on birding although I saw a lot of "brown jobs" that were new to my eyes/ears and I'm sure my list would have been much longer had I had the patience to sit a ID them all. Highlights were the Kelp Gull - which I am awaiting the photo's to make sure that's what they were, and not Pacific Gull, the Brown Falcon pair that we watched for 1/2hr while the male brought food to the sitting female. The size difference when you see the two birds together is quite remarkable! We also found two halves of an adult Osprey, that had been eaten, underneathe an Osprey nest? All this topped of with hearing the call of the Rufous Songlark for the first time - what a beauty!

- Claire Stevenson

Sightings of Interest:
Rainbow Lorikeet (1)
- Lakelands, Gnagarra Road 27/09/02

Banded Stilt
- water treatment/catchement, Gnagarra Road (just after Morgan Fields), Ellenbrook 27/09/02 (1)
- Kalbarri sandbar (only two in full breeding plumage), 29/09/02 (~10)

White-necked (Pacific) Heron
- 500m up from Brand Hwy turnoff on Brand Hwy (2) 27/09/02
- 2km up from Brand Hwy turnoff on Brand Hwy (2) 27/09/02
- 1km south of Brand Hwy turnoff on Great Northern Hwy (1) 30/09/02

Emu (2)
- 6 1/2Km off Brand Hwy/Grt Nrthn Hwy turnoff, on Brand Hwy (on left) 27/09/02

Kelp Gull - awaiting photo confirmation to confirm ID is NOT Pacific Gull
- 2 adults 1 Juvenille. Geraldton boat ramp 28/09/02.

Perth - Geraldton - Kalbarri 27/09/02 - 30/09/02 (in order of sighting)
Rainbow Lorikeet, Banded Stilt, White-neck (Pacific) Heron, Straw-necked Ibis, Australian Shelduck, Australian Ringneck, Black-faced Woodswallow, *Galah, Laughing Kookaburra, Red Wattlebird, Emu, *Mudlark , *Australian Raven, *Australian Magpie, Whistling Kite, *Black-shouldered Kite, *Nankeen Kestrel, Wedge-tailed Eagle, Pallid Cuckoo, *Welcome Swallow, Tree Matin, Western Gerygone, *Willie Wagtail, Rufous Songlark, Crested Pigeon, Quail sp., Laughing Turtle-dove, Domestic Pigeon, Pied Butcherbird, White-plumed Honeyeater,
Richard's Pipit, Little Corella, Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike, Silver Gull, Singing Honeyeater, Osprey - on nest, Crested Tern, Hoary-headed Grebe, Common Sandpiper, Grey-shrike Thrush ?, Collared Sparrowhawk, KELP GULL, Pied Cormorant, Little Black Cormorant, Brown Falcon - on nest, Square-tailed Kite ?, Bridled Tern ?, Blue-breasted Fairy-wren, Scarlet Robin, Brown Honeyeater, Yellow-throated Miner, White-winged Triller, Weebill, Grey Teal, White-faced Heron, Australian Wood Duck, & many other birds seen but could not be identified.

* seen throughout journey
? cannot confirm ID
<BOLD> personnal new lifers