birding-aus

Painted Honeyeaters at Jondaryan

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Painted Honeyeaters at Jondaryan
From: Laurie&Leanne Knight <>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 20:49:05 +1000
The BOz server is discriminating against my trip reports, so to make sure that
size is not a problem, I have split yesterday's report [which I sent twice
without response] into two parts.

Following on from Gavin's nicely timed note yesterday, I figured it was time to
head off to the Oakey Golf Club - 27 23 S, 151 36 E - to find those painted
honeyeaters I'd been dipping on.

After a bit of poking around the scrub opposite the golf course, I did manage to
get good views of a male painted HE calling from the top of a dead tree - I
guess he was doing the territorial thing as he was swaying back and forth like a
canary.  There were a lot of mistletoebirds about, my first dollarbird for the
season, families of GC babblers, choughs and apostlebirds and of course, the
ubiquitous weeros.

Interestingly, there was a koala perched up one of the trees on the golf course
- perhaps it was practicing to be a drop bear.

LK

.