birding-aus

Diamond Dove and packages of birds

To: "Edwin Vella" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Diamond Dove and packages of birds
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 20:20:08 +1000
Timely comments Edwin!

We had a Diamond Dove here at Abberton today (Friday), about 20km east of
the divide - only our third ever record.  In an interesting overlap,
Spectacled Monarchs were back on the Toowoomba escarpment this-morning,
about 20km west of the Diamond Dove.
I can't compete with the breath-taking, record-breaking finch, parrot, or
rail 'packages' that people have been reporting lately, but today we really
enjoyed a group of Chestnut-breasted Mannikins joining Zebra, Double-barred
and Red-browed Finches which were already feeding around the garden, and we
added just three Plum-heads a few minutes later.  Only five 'finch' spp, but
stunners the lot of them!
How about trees with high scores? There are just two dead trees within sight
of our verandah - one we call 'the big dead tree' (good for raptors), the
other gets called 'the cuckoo-tree' because over 14 years here we have seen
all 11 available species of cuckoo in it - ie all of mainland Australia's
cuckoos save for the two far-northern species, Chestnut-breasted and Gould's
Bronze.
Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056