birding-aus

PAINTED SNIPE - OPEN SEASON!

Subject: PAINTED SNIPE - OPEN SEASON!
From: Chris Tzaros <>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 18:26:34 +1000
Dear 'Snipers',

In order to give everybody enough time to plan a route and get anxious
about searching for Painted Snipe, I thought I'd remind you all that next
weekend (5-6th October) is the Painted Snipe spring survey.  Many of you
already registered as 'snipers' will soon be receiving by post the
inaugural newsletter of the Australian Painted Snipe project, 'Painted
Snippets', and a package of survey forms.  For those who would like to add
their name to the list (it's free, all you need do is search for Painted
Snipe), please respond directly to me.  Those who have indicated preference
for receiving an electronic copy should get this early next week.

Rather excitingly, we are already getting some reports (varying
authenticity) of Painted Snipe in Victoria, along with quite a few Latham's
Snipe, and in Queensland, birds just might be at all their old haunts from
last summer.  The same could also be said for south-east SA and NSW.

My enthusiastic pals Danny and Lew are off to northern Victoria this
weekend on the hunt for snipe, and for those of you who don't fancy the
idea of a Brisbane vs Collingwood Grand Final (boring!), perhaps you could
consider checking a wetland near you.

For any further information, registration, survey form requests or sighting
reports, please feel free to contact me.

Happy birding.

Chris

Chris Tzaros
Co-ordinator, Threatened Bird Network
Birds Australia (Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union)
National Office
415 Riversdale Rd
Hawthorn East, Vic., 3123
Ph: 03-9882-2622