birding-aus

Trip report NQ Part3

To: "Mark & Lan Vaney" <>, "Bob & Sadhna Cook" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Trip report NQ Part3
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:25:09 +1000
By the end of day 8 we had 136 species .Crimson Finch were easily seen in canefields driving out of Lucinda.Called in at 5 Mile Swimming Hole south of Cardwell where Grey Goshawk and Brown Goshawk seen overhead, Spectacled Monarch everywhere in the creekside vegetation..Visited Murray Falls and lamented inability to spend a few nights in a wonderful setting.Scored our fourth new bird whilst shopping in Tully, a large flock of Metallic Starling with their bulging red eyes and ratty tails commandering a flowering street tree.A late visit to Tam O'Shanter SF where we heard Noisy Pitta, but we had to wait 'till next morning for Southern Cassowary (at last!), and not just one but three in all, a sole adult and then adult plus chick who slowly circled us as we stood breathless.Picked-up our first Yellow Oriole for trip.Next morning at Bramston Beach up early, heard soft sweet calls from top of flowering euc. After much searching and neck-straining located our first-ever Double-eyed Fig Parrot.
         Highlight of the day however was the Eubenangee Swamp NP, what a magic place! We were that engrossed in our birding that we failed to see the big croc basking on the mud, and had to be shown the beast by some non-birding (but croc aware) tourists.There were Green Pygmy-geese, Jabiru, both Spoonbill,Jacana, and Swamp Harrier overhead. Fairy Gerygone  were seen on the walk back along the creek.Then started heading towards the Undara lava tubes, flushing a pair of Latham's Snipe  from tall roadside grass between Millaa Millaa and Ravenshoe.The lava tubes are very interesting and well guided (take at least a half-day tour), and we had little time for birding. We did see our one and only Southern Boobook  hawking moths attracted by the lights of the camp kitchen. We were very surprised that we didn't see or hear another boobook on the whole trip. By contrast Bush Stone-curlew were heard most nights in town, coast, and bush settings and were frequently seen during the day as well.
        The Atherton Tableland was our next destination and we based ourselves at Atherton for six days.Made a number of visits to Hasties Swamp NP and ended-up with over 50 species for the wetland.Stayed till last light one arvo and were rewarded with the sight of 36 Sarus Crane flying in for the night.Liked that so much that we rose early next morning to return and watch them fly-off to work!!Other highlights at the swamp were thousands of Plumed Whistling-Duck, Pink-eared DucK,Darter, five raptors incl Wedge-tailed Eagle, Buff-banded Rail, Lathams Snipe(2),Red-kneed Dotterel.
      More on the Tableland to follow.......

     Russ Lamb,Maleny,SEQ