birding-aus

Re: spotlighting

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Re: spotlighting
From: "Elizabeth Shaw" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:55:26 +1000
This is my first contribution to the list.  I hope I've got it right!

I run spotlighting bush and beach tours around Phillip Island and S-w Gippsland in Victoria.  I was concerned about damage to wildlife by shining light in wildlife eyes temporarily blinding them or making them visible to predators.  Then somebody suggested using a red filter over the spotlight, as I do with star chart reading at night.

Cover the spotlight using red cellophane with an elastic band.  It apparently doesn't affect the eyes of the target and is invisilbe to animals, including predators.  It certainly makes a difference. Animals  in both trees and rockpools go on behaving as though they didn't have an audience, with makes a much more valuable experience for viewers!

Elizabeth Shaw
Surefoot Explorations Pty Ltd