birding-aus

Wedge-tailed Eagle feeding at night.

To: "QOSI Newsletter" <>, "Contact Call BANQG" <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Wedge-tailed Eagle feeding at night.
From: "Jon Wren" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:35:21 +1000
Gooday all,
On the 28 August 2002 I was returning from Newlands Mine on a train and came across a Wedge-tailed Eagle feeding on a Wallaby carcass between the track.
Time was 1850 and relatively dark with the Moon in the last quarter. This is the first time I have observed a Wedge-tailed Eagle feeding at night.
HANZAB Vol 2 Pg 168 Food Behaviour states "observed to feed on carcass of kangaroo on moonlit night."
As we approached the bird flew and perched in a dead tree close by to the carcass, possibly to return and resume its feeding after we had passed?
I must also comment on the high concentration of Wedge-tailed Eagles on the Abbot Point Road just North of Bowen Qld. This road is some 15 Km long and provides much carrion to the current population. Also the Pring to Newlands line 143Km provides us with many opportunities to observe these majestic birds.
I am aware of three bird strikes involving Wedge-tailed Eagles with locomotives so far this year. The main problem seems to be when a group of Eagles feed on carrion the last remaining bird seems to be dominant refusing to release the prey regardless of the approaching locomotive.
Jon Wren