birding-aus

NQ Trip report--Part 2

To: "Bob & Sadhna Cook" <>, "birding-aus" <>, "Mark & Lan Vaney" <>
Subject: NQ Trip report--Part 2
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 17:17:42 +1000
Next stop Townsville,with quick visit to Muller's Lagoon, Bowen only adding Cicadabird.Up bright and early to the Common, very dry, as was all of countryside.Only one species of duck (Pacific Black),Glossy Ibis, Royal Spoonbill.Raptors well represented with 8 species, pair of Swamp Harriers, Brolga and our first Australian Bustard, a solitary bird, for the trip.(We saw upwards of 6 separate bustards on the trip, always alone).Spied a few Diamond Doves amongst some Peaceful's , the first of many White-bellied Cuckoo-shrikes, Spangled Drongo's, and what may have been a Satin Flycatcher but didn't get long enough views.Leaden Flycatchers were easy, and we had protracted,scoped views of a party of Nutmeg Mannikin,and fewer Zebra Finch.Exactly 50 species for 4hours work.
     Stayed o'nite at Balgal Beach,enjoyed walking barefoot over the vast expanse of sand and mud as the sun set.Saw Darter swimming in the shallows, Eastern Reef Egret (both white and grey), Grey-tailed Tattler, Pied Oystercatcher and Red-capped Plover.Yellow and Dusky Honeyeaters abundant in the dunes and gardens, plus Varied Triller and Mistletoebird.
      Up to Paluma for the obligatory morning tea at the cafe with Mcleay's, White -cheeked Honeyeaters, Victoria's Riflebird.Undertook one of the lookout walks and rewarded with a pair of Chowchilla scratching around by the side of the carpark (at the END of the walk,of course). Also got White-headed Pigeon, Grey-headed Robin and what, in retrospect, was probably my first Bower's Shrike-thrush but I took as Little Shrike-thrush, even though I spent 10 mins querying what was different about it.Yes I did have a field guide,but by the time my bird brain was engaged I'd lost the bird and hadn't been focusing on the differences anyway.(Never fear, gentle reader, your scribe got the Bower's clearly, certainly,deliberately, unambiguously,thankfully ,a week later after submitting every high altitude shrike-thrush to ASIO-like scrutiny ).
       Coming back down the Range a flock of small swifts caught our eye and we enjoyed our firstever views of White-rumped Swiftlets, a bird which was to then be seen often and everywhere.Ended-up at Lucinda where we tried to get a guided boat trip up Hinchinbrook Passage but the weather defeated us all.

             to be cont.
           Russ Lamb,Maleny,SEQ