birding-aus

Hawkesbury Area NSW 22nd Sept. 2002

To: <>
Subject: Hawkesbury Area NSW 22nd Sept. 2002
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 21:13:23 +1000

Myself and Graham Turner sighted a number of interesting birds today in the Hawkesbury region (approx 55 km north-west of Sydney CBD).

At a stock dam along Pitt Town Bottoms Rd at Pitt Town, many thanks to the cows crossing through the dam, we got great views of an Australasian Bittern. At first the cows made it move a bit when it then adopted its usual frozen posture with bill held skywards. This or another Bittern than was disturbed by the cows again and took flight fairly low. At first it flew northwards than came back towards and over us and circled a number of times as if wanting to land in the same spot where it was originally flushed only a few metres from where we were standing. Maybe (and probably not surprising) this Bittern was disturbed from it nest. We also saw a White-faced Heron flying with this Bittern, with the later being a much chunkier and heavier bird. Also here were 2 Baillons Crakes, 1 or 2 Buff-banded Rails (one was calling out in the open on top of some rubbish beside the dam), a Brown Goshawk (Imm. circling above), a dark-phase Brown Falcon, very showy Little Grassbirds and Australian Reed Warblers and a (not too high) Channel-billed Cuckoo flying over and calling (heading south). Also some very interesting behavior was observed here with a Yellow-billed and Royal Spoonbill having an argument with each other and fighting with their bills. After settling their dispute both the Spoonbills were feeding side by side cooperatively for some time (I remember a query on ?birding-aus? sometime ago if anyone had seen them feeding side by side ? well here?s an answer). Rainbow Bee-eaters and Horsfield?s Bronze-cuckoos were also heard here.

At nearby Pitt Town Lagoon a number of shorebirds were present including around 40 Red-kneed Dotterel (higher than usual for Sydney), a few Black-fronted Dotterel, 30 plus Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (just about all have already moulted out of their breeding plumage), 6 Marsh Sandpipers, 2-3 Latham?s Snipe, 2 (and possibly another) Baillons Crakes, a Whiskered Tern (in non-breeding plumage), 25-30 Australasian Shoveler (much fewer ducks than in the winter, and mainly Grey Teal) and finally a nice adult White-bellied Sea-eagle.

I also visited the turf farms just outside Richmond-Windsor where I saw in a paddock 2 (an adult and juv. male) Brown and 3 Rufous Songlarks, 6 Brown Quail (sheltering in their regular spot under some roadside trees along Cornwallis Rd), another adult White-bellied Sea-eagle, Rainbow Bee-eaters and at Bushes Lagoon (within the turf farms), another 6 Red-kneed Dotterels (nesting/looking after chicks), a lone Pink-eared Duck with more Hardheads and Grey Teals and finally here, another 2 Yellow-billed Spoonbils.

On my way back home and having the need to drive past Scheyville National Park, I could hear from inside this national park (by having the car windows down) loads of Rufous Whistlers and White-throated Gerygones making their presence felt.

Edwin Vella