birding-aus

Queensland birding Part 2

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Queensland birding Part 2
From: "Lois j Piroch" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 11:59:56 +1100
Hello again fellow birders,
As mentioned in part 1 of my trip report most of the birds located were in the predictable sites but below is a quick summary.
LAMINGTON- Very dry but always great birding except for the frustration of dipping yet again on the Scrub-bird both going & coming.
BRISBANE - North Wynumm Mangrove Circuit- Collared Kingfisher & Mangrove Gerygone.
                    Lake Samsonvale - A very pleasant spot which Tom Tarrant generously shared with me finding KING QUAIL, Varied Sittella[White-headed form] etc.,
INSKIP POINT - Black-breasted Button-quail [M & F]
MACKAY - McEwans Beach - Mangrove Robin
                 Shell Grit Creek - Beach Stone-curlew
                 Eungella N.P. - TOPKNOT PIGEON   Thanks Marj.
                 Lake Kinchant Road - Squatter Pigeon.
TOWNSVILLE - Town Common- Very dry but still good birding.
PALUMA - Ivy Cottage Tea Rooms a must.
INGHAM -Broadwater Creek S.F.- Another great spot, which I had previously heard little about. The rainforest walk produced Pied Monarch, Black Butcherbird, SUPERB FRUIT-DOVE etc.,
whilst on the creek walk found LOVELY FAIRY-WREN.
MISSION BEACH - SOUTHERN CASSOWARY & Superb Fruit-dove on the Lacey Creek to Licuala Rainforest walk.
KINGFISHER PARK - Used the park as a base for my birding trips to the rest of the Tableland, Iron Range & Torres Strait & touristy jaunts to Cairns, Kuranda, Port Douglas etc.,
Again really enjoyed the peaceful atmosphere & the friendlinessof Ron, Carol & Andrew who were all very helpful. Highlights for me were Lesser Sooty Owl & PAPUAN FROGMOUTH.,but Andrew regularly sees 75-80 species on his morning walks.
EMERALD CREEK FALLS - [near Mareeba]- Rufous Owl
WINDMILL CREEK - GOLDEN-SHOULDERED PARROT & BLACK-BACKED BUTCHERBIRD.
MUSGRAVE - RED GOSHAWK

to be continued
Regards
Geoff. Walker